Thursday, January 3, 2013

What fits in a box?

Christmas all boxed up for another year
Today we packed up christmas and put it in the attic for another year.

Looking at that box, I got to thinking, it says exactly where my life is at.

When Annabelle and I landed in Ireland in 2005, all we owned was what we carried there in our backpacks.

When we left there to live in Bangkok we found we'd managed to collect enough to have to ship a box 6'x6' with us.

Now, with two kids we have a house worth. And more in the attic. The weight of it all keeping us firmly here for another year and beyond.

So what happened to the life of carefree adventure?

I gave a talk to a class of visiting US college students the other day and I found myself telling them, like I do all younger people, to travel, try new things and seek adventure all they can while they can, because one day you find life isn't like that anymore.

Then I thought, if I were in a class now and an 80 year old were talking to me what would they tell me?

Probably to travel, try new things and seek adventure all I can while they can, because one day I'll find life isn't like that anymore.

Really, the best time to do anything is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment